Sunny Spot

Thursday, February 3, 2011

On this day in history...

Today I am finally back to work after 2 days of being iced in the house.  Don't get me wrong, I love a good snow day as much as the next person, but you can keep your ice...nice fluffy white snow beats the pants off of glistening, fall on your ass ice ANY DAY.
So being back to "work", at least in the office, means that there is a lot of paper to weed through to see what's important and what can wait.  Well it was all semi important, so I tackled it early and hard, so I would have some time to surf the web and cross a few things off my "to-do" list.  As I was cruising through sales orders and making really good progress (I could see the light at the end of the tunnel) my phone dinged, the ding of a date reminder.  Now this is linked to my desk top, so I waited for the reminder to come up on my screen.  Well the reminder finally came up to remind me that on this day last year my Grandmother passed.  I took a moment to try and and clear my head because it had gone foggy for a minute, then checked my phone to see if it said the same...it did.
This was my last surviving grandparent and it felt kind of weird to know that she was gone.  To know my grandmother was to love her...although without her I wouldn't be the women I am today.  When I was younger she lived within walking distance of our home, so I would go over often and slept over there every Monday night.  I was my grandfathers girl, but I loved to visit my grandmother...she used to make us Creme De Mint Parfaits, you the booze kind!  That wasn't the only reason I loved her, she use to make us whatever we wanted.  When we'd sleep over if my sister picked dinner, I go to pick the next week.  There was always popcorn and dessert and the Muppet Show...it was Monday night in the 80's!
When I was 19 my grandparents decided to move back to PA and live out their retirement years.  I didn't really feel that void without them here, because they came back ofter and I would go out to see them. 
Today when that reminder popped up, I remembered a happier time...a time when my grandparents laughed and loved and were together, as I hope they are today.

XXXOOO

No comments:

Post a Comment