Sunny Spot

Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

Well it's here again, St. Valentine's Day or as some say Valentimes Day...UGH!  I won't go off on a tangent this early in my writing for the day.  Let's just say HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY and leave it at that!

Okay so the point of this entry is to give you a feel of who I am and how I have evolved.  It's an insight into the women I am today...are you ready?

When I was younger I LOVED Valentines Day and all it stood for...I could swoon over the boy I liked because it was a day for love.  You gave and received cards from all your classmates and secret admirers.  Girls giggled, boys ran...girls cringed, boys kissed and ran, boy I miss those days.

When I was a teenager, Valentines Day was for holding hands and receiving single roses.  Stolen kisses by your locker in between classes and hot make out sessions in your boyfriends car after school.  It was sharing a pizza for your "date" and feeling like the luckiest girl on the planet.

When I was a young adult I HATED Valentines Day.  I felt it was a suckers excuse to make boat loads of money off of poor people who felt it was important to show that special someone they loved them.  It is, for all intents a purposes, a Hallmark holiday.  I always felt that paying $100 for a dozen roses, $50 for chocolate and having to sit down to a meal that was "set" was a lousy way to show someone you loved them.  What happened to a card?  Pizza?  Stolen kisses and hand holding?  Why had it become a money sucking holiday?

So now I am a wise middle age women who likes the day enough to make it special for others.   I don't ask for much, but I guess that has paid off.  For Valentine's Day I got a beautiful new Coach bag and matching wallet...guess I was a good girl this year!  We also went out for a nice quiet dinner, just the 3 of us, on Saturday night.  Tonight I will make a meatloaf for dinner and we will snack on the chocolates I spent WAY too much money on for my husband and son...isn't irony a bitch?

Happy Valentine's Day
XXXOOO

No comments:

Post a Comment